Sunday, June 10, 2012

I'm back...really.

More than a year has passed since I posted to this blog. I was attempting, quite unsuccessfully to chronical my journey from defeatist Procrastinator to Licensed Pilot. I have spent my life making every possible excuse why not to pursue this life long dream and I've justified my procrastination along the way, assuming I'll have time. From starting this blog to date, I've seen more than two years fly by and not only have I not soloed yet, I've only flown twice. INEXCUSIBLE, sort of.

A lot has happened in that 15 months that passed since my last update. Medical issues have arisen that may prevent me from being able to become a private Pilot, I'm still researching how the FAA might respond to my condition, so my focus is almost exclusively Sport Pilot now, though it's my intention to train in non LSA compliant aircraft as much as I can. I've also launched a small business, and that has resulted in a gradual career change and the need to be two places at once while I transition, so that has accounted for most of my distance from aviation, and yet, I will not be deterred. I'm officially back. Really.

After a great deal of self study, taking discovery flights, talking to pilots, A&Ps and airport personnel at the local airport, I know I'm ready to proceed. This is something that just won't go away. Flying the simulator doesn't meet the need any more. Reading anything I can get my hands on and listening to podcasts offers little relief. It only makes my "fever" worse. There's little I can do about it so my response to this desire is to go for it. No more procrastination. I took vacation and I have a week of dual instruction scheduled in two weeks. I plan to fly as much as I can in that week, then settle into a twice a week schedule of flight instruction. Hopefully, I'll know by then if I can continue with my PPL or if I have to transition to an LSA and Sport Pilot certificate. I WILL GET THIS DONE EITHER WAY and love every minute of it.

I also have a greater understanding of what it takes to own an aircraft and while I won't rule it out, my training will take precedent over everything aviation related. I would love to own and train in my own aircraft, but the many considerations and expenses could stifle my dream of being a Pilot. That's most important right now. So I'll keep dreaming about owning a Zodiac 601HD or a Cessna 172 one day, but for now, I'm officially a student Pilot and I have to admit, I really like the sound of that.

I am a procrastinator, true enough but defeatist no more. I believe this can and will happen because it's up to me. I've been through a lot and I still want this. I will not be denied, so brace yourselves, cause now I have legitimate excuses, but even they won't stop me.

No comments:

Post a Comment